2021 State of Origin I: Maroons V Blues

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Maroons 13+
14%
Maroons 1-12
71%
Blues 1-12
14%
Blues 13+
No votes

Total votes: 7

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2021 State of Origin I: Maroons V Blues

Post by zim »

Bay53 wrote: June 9, 2021, 10:34 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 9, 2021, 10:31 pm
Bay53 wrote: June 9, 2021, 10:22 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 9, 2021, 10:20 pm
Bay53 wrote: June 9, 2021, 10:18 pm

They made exactly the right call in the positions he might have played.
Yep - only injury will see him get a start this series
Stephen Crichton would be my next choice for centre’s well ahead of Jack. There would be a few others too.
There is Something about Crichton’s game doesn’t transfer to Origin for me…
He seems like a flat track bully whereas the guys they pick are usually the types who can handle the rough stuff…
Really?? I think his big body would be totally suited to it.
S Crichton can't defend at this stage. He's not getting picked. That will change.
Last edited by zim on June 9, 2021, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Qld were really bad and nsw was really good.

Qld were really bad though. I dont think with Green they will improve much. SOS to Bennett required.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Bay53 wrote: June 9, 2021, 10:48 pm Funny after all the carry on about high hits, you get 34 of the best players together and it barely raises a ripple. The hit of Feldt on Murray was the only controversial one.

Perhaps the game as we know it is not dead after all.
There was also the late hit from behind on Latrell after he passed for To'os first try. On the replay his head clearly whiplashed. That has been an automatic sinbin in the past 4 weeks. But I'd still rather 13 v 13 for stuff like that.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Papalli and Ponga will be back for game 2…
Plus Munster and Grant will be fitter…
I’m pretty sure QLD will be a different beast next game…
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Paul Green lucky Channel 9 delay his interview 😂
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenMachine wrote: June 9, 2021, 11:08 pm Paul Green lucky Channel 9 delay his interview 😂
I was trying to work out what he might have said but they cleaned it up with a lengthy cut
Baywatch
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Baywatch »

Bring back Israel Folau
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

2021 State of Origin I: Maroons V Blues

Post by The Nickman »

The Nickman wrote:I quite like that Queensland side, and I don't say that every year... everything except the coach, that is. Not convinced about Green as an Origin coach AT ALL.
Very first post in the thread and I stand by it. Paul Green is not an Origin Coach, very Walters’esque.

We won’t win too many series with him at the helm.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The Nickman wrote: June 10, 2021, 7:50 am
The Nickman wrote:I quite like that Queensland side, and I don't say that every year... everything except the coach, that is. Not convinced about Green as an Origin coach AT ALL.
Very first post in the thread and I stand by it. Paul Green is not an Origin Coach, very Walters’esque.

We won’t win too many series with him at the helm.
Genius!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

NSW pashun..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Not sure the quality of coaching was a significant factor in that game.

Last year Fittler was a spud. This year he's the same bloke.

That Queensland backline was pretty ordinary.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

NSW played smart from the first set of the game. Tommy T with two hittups that set.

They forced their backline to do a lot of work, as they didn’t want to burn their big forwards out too early. Instead, they let the forwards focus more of their energy on defence and It worked a treat.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

yeh raiders wrote: June 10, 2021, 8:40 am NSW played smart from the first set of the game. Tommy T with two hittups that set.

They forced their backline to do a lot of work, as they didn’t want to burn their big forwards out too early. Instead, they let the forwards focus more of their energy on defence and It worked a treat.
Worked for us in 2019.

It's the type of game plan you can execute if your outside backs can break tackles or have big bodies.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 10, 2021, 9:14 am
yeh raiders wrote: June 10, 2021, 8:40 am NSW played smart from the first set of the game. Tommy T with two hittups that set.

Worked for us in 2019.

It's the type of game plan you can execute if your outside backs can break tackles or have big bodies.
It's what we miss badly at the moment at Club level...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

GreenMachine wrote: June 10, 2021, 9:37 am
Seiffert82 wrote: June 10, 2021, 9:14 am

Worked for us in 2019.

It's what we miss badly at the moment at Club level...
Made worse by a practically non-existent long kicking game.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Reinforces what we were saying on the GH about attack being so essential... only one game in but so far the Penrith model of being young/fit/fast/attacking is holding up very well... (meanwhile Raiders try to base their game plan around Sutton and co carting it up, and backs are almost an afterthought)

Centres popping up on both sides of the field and all over the park. Was great to see
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Last night really hit home that Ricky and his backroom staff have just got it completely wrong this season. A massive miscalculation.

It's almost as if we're stuck playing a totally different game out there.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

They defended really well. Every time QLD created space Turbo took to covering 3 people and only slipped up once. Mitchell made some good reads on overlaps.
Everyone kept working after the ball had gone past.
Kind of thing you can do well when you're controlling things and have million dollar players adlib attacking like their pay packet.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: June 10, 2021, 11:33 am Last night really hit home that Ricky and his backroom staff have just got it completely wrong this season. A massive miscalculation.

It's almost as if we're stuck playing a totally different game out there.
miscalculation of mega proportions...
From the way we play to the personnel we recruited and allowed to leave...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

zim wrote: June 10, 2021, 11:41 am They defended really well. Every time QLD created space Turbo took to covering 3 people and only slipped up once. Mitchell made some good reads on overlaps.
Everyone kept working after the ball had gone past.
Kind of thing you can do well when you're controlling things and have million dollar players adlib attacking like their pay packet.
Lets be honest, nobody from QLD makes the NSW backline as it stands....
Not even Munster.

You'd pick Luai just for the combination with Cleary and Yeo alone...

Those early wide shifts really played havoc with QLD's decision making ...
They wanted a grind fest and NSW came out swinging with attacking flair..

And to think lil Papi, Radley and Angus are waiting to join the party!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I can't see Papenhuyzen getting into this side - at least not over Jack. Jack's just about the best utility you could ask for.

Crichton will be a massive in though. Having Tedesco and Trbojevic running off him could be (even more) carnage.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders five eighth Jack Wighton says a new Canberra Stadium needed if national capital to host future Origin matches

NSW Blues utility Jack Wighton hopes Canberra can get a new stadium so the capital could one day have the chance of hosting State of Origin. He confirmed he would back up in the Raiders game against the Brisbane Broncos at Canberra Stadium on Saturday, having played just 16 minutes off the bench.

"I hope Canberra can get a big enough stadium one day to host things like that and it's not questionable then."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

You’ll be ok Jack. When we get 40 in front the coach will give you a well earned rest..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Raiders666 wrote: June 9, 2021, 3:31 pm Easy win for N.S W
Nice tip R666 and so it proved. I know there will be comments about a broken clock being right twice per day, but you were first in with this pick and I certainly didn't expect last nights score line. Are you doubling up on Game 2?

Some very perceptive comments about big fast tackle busting backs in this thread. It wasn't that long ago when Cotric, BJ and a less injured Rapa were doing a number on opposition sides for the Raiders. We don't seem able to recruit such players any more.

As a defensofile though, I just loved the Blues attacking defence which was constantly breaking the Qld momentum by driving their ball carriers backwards. We all look for different things in matches and the Blues defensive effort was another highlight in the match for me.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Papalii, Collins and Suncorp will help close the gap but the blues should be winning game 2. Angus Crichton returning will improve the blues as well.
Ponga would be a big in but doesn't look like he'll be fit.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:Papalii, Collins and Suncorp will help close the gap but the blues should be winning game 2. Angus Crichton returning will improve the blues as well.
Ponga would be a big in but doesn't look like he'll be fit.
too big, too fast

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

RedRaider wrote: June 10, 2021, 8:32 pm
Raiders666 wrote: June 9, 2021, 3:31 pm Easy win for N.S W
Nice tip R666 and so it proved. I know there will be comments about a broken clock being right twice per day, but you were first in with this pick and I certainly didn't expect last nights score line. Are you doubling up on Game 2?

Some very perceptive comments about big fast tackle busting backs in this thread. It wasn't that long ago when Cotric, BJ and a less injured Rapa were doing a number on opposition sides for the Raiders. We don't seem able to recruit such players any more.

As a defensofile though, I just loved the Blues attacking defence which was constantly breaking the Qld momentum by driving their ball carriers backwards. We all look for different things in matches and the Blues defensive effort was another highlight in the match for me.
Thanks mate... Yeah game 2 will be at least another 20 point win to N.S.W
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

I hope the blues stick solid with Tariq Sims. What an animal of a player and that offload was something special.

Him and Tyson Frizzell are the 2 best backrowers at that level.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Sims would be staying for me as well after that performance. Martin would be the player I drop for Chricton.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

yeh raiders wrote: June 11, 2021, 9:59 am I hope the blues stick solid with Tariq Sims. What an animal of a player and that offload was something special.

Him and Tyson Frizzell are the 2 best backrowers at that level.
yeh raiders, When I looked at the side originally selected I thought Tariq Sims was only there because Frizzell, Cordner and Crichton were injured and at 31 they were looking to put some experience into the side. His past couple of seasons have been plagued by injury and to be honest I didn't really believe he was Origin level. He showed on Wednesday night what he can do although it was within a dominant Blues performance. Some 'nice' selection headaches for Freddy Fittler as other rep players become available.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

It's a bit of a quandary in regards to the Blues edge forwards. Both were effectively replacements for unavailable players. Normally you shouldn't change a team that just won 50-6. Thing is the edge forwards weren't big contributors. Murray only had 5 runs from 56 mins. He's not an edge player and replacing him with Crichton or Frizell can only strengthen the team. Bringing in one of those guys to start and moving Murray to the bench is the obvious move.

Sims was better with 10 runs and 87m in his 62 min plus the try assist. Probably did enough to keep his spot. Liam Martin will be the guy to drop off.

QLD have some obvious changes. Paps return an obvious one. Ponga into fullback and Holmes to wing. I expect Feldt to make way despite Coates having and absolute shocker both sides of the ball. Could even move Gagai to the other wing and play Brimson at centre. That allows Hunt to play 14 where he can spell Grant if needed or replace DCE if he stinks it up again. Other than that there's not many other options.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.