Rugby League 2021

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Rugby League 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Wayne Bennett gives up Queensland Maroons reins as Paul Green shapes to take over

Wayne Bennett has relinquished the Queensland Origin coaching reins to focus on South Sydney's 2021 premiership tilt, putting former Cowboys coach Paul Green in the box seat to take over. Bennett told the QRL he would not be returning to the interstate arena within a fortnight of masterminding their stunning 2020 series upset.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/14/ben ... take-over/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Rugby League 2021

Post by greeneyed »

Bombshell Maroons coaching plan revealed after Wayne Bennett steps down as Queensland coach

Wayne Bennett won’t return to coach Queensland in 2021, and the Maroons are considering a shock succession plan involving a group of retired legendary players.

The QRL may install someone like Paul Green in the role for 2021, but then replace him with one or a combination of Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Justin Hodges, and Cooper Cronk before the 2022 series.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state- ... 00ae63a46a
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Is it really a bombshell if the series goes back to mid year? He literally only did it cause it was in the off season

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

All Stars clash in jeopardy as NRL players face early bubble due to COVID clusters

State border restrictions due to the coronavirus pandemic threaten the build-up to the All Stars game, which could see the NRL enforce a bubble earlier than originally planned. NRL players could be forced to enter a bubble as early as the next couple of weeks as the game awaits the progress of COVID-19 outbreaks around the country.

Under current government enforced protocols players from Greater Sydney would not be allowed into Queensland for the All Stars game scheduled for Townsville on February 20.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ccf85e92dd
BJ
Ruben Wiki

Post by BJ »

Don’t play Allstars this season.

Need to limit the season. Last year started to drag as the season went on.
gergreg
Bradley Clyde

Post by gergreg »

BJ wrote:Don’t play Allstars this season.

Need to limit the season. Last year started to drag as the season went on.
I didn't think the season dragged at all, normal years with 25 rounds get a bit stale but 20 rounds was a decent number.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Fuifui Bradbrad
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad »

Yeah, I felt it was drawn out too. I think it was Origin after the GF, and the fact the season was still going well into October.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

NSW has done a superb job - Nickman
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Think that was more a reflection that the year dragged on

It was one of the better comps I can remember

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BJ
Ruben Wiki

Rugby League 2021

Post by BJ »

I grew increasingly less interested in non Raiders games as the season went on.

But family and colleagues who are usually strong fans of the sport, really switched off late in the season. Some didn’t even watch State of Origin.

I think some of this was backed up with viewership declines and a drop in media click data.
Fuifui Bradbrad
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad »

BJ wrote: January 17, 2021, 9:20 pm I grew increasingly less interested in non Raiders games as the season went on.

But family and colleagues who are usually strong fans of the sport, really switched off late in the season. Some didn’t even watch State of Origin.

I think some of this was backed up with viewership declines and a drop in media click data.
Yeah I didn't watch Origin this year. After the GF I was done
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

NSW has done a superb job - Nickman
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL and RLPA agree on six per cent reduction in salary cap for 2021 and 2022

The National Rugby League (NRL) and the Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA) have agreed to a revised CBA which will secure the long-term sustainability of players, clubs and the game.

Players have agreed to a 6 per cent reduction in the salary cap for 2021 and 2022. However, unlike other sports, the revised CBA deal ensures job security for players with every club to retain a Top 30 squad, plus a minimum of three development list players.

The NRL Premiership salary cap in 2021 will be $9.02 million and $9.11 million in 2022. State of Origin match payments will be set at $15,000 for 2021 and 2022.

Other significant reductions to player benefits and entitlements under the CBA will also take effect as part of the revisions.

The NRL, RLPA and Clubs have also committed to collaborate on a number of key projects this year, including a review of the player contracting system, ensuring the game continues to listen to its fans and corporate partners.

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo thanked the players and the leadership of the RLPA for their commitment and sacrifice to the NRL, its clubs and our fans.

"2020 proved when we do things together, we get a better outcome for everyone. Today is another example of that,'' he said.

"I want to thank the players for the professionalism, discipline and sacrifices they have made - not only to ensure the 2020 season proceeded but so the game can remain sustainable long term. I also want to thank Clint Newton for the leadership he has shown in securing a deal that provides security for his players, the game and our joint stakeholders.

"The deal is a fair reflection of the value the players bring to our game and the sacrifices they are prepared to make to ensure we remain strong in the years ahead."

Mr Abdo also acknowledged the leadership of the Commission and the contribution of the Clubs in ensuring a deal was struck in difficult circumstances.

"I would like to acknowledge the role the Commission, and in particular our Chairman Peter V'landys, in balancing the competing interests of the game to ensure a fair deal was achieved for the players. I also acknowledge the contribution of the Club working group and in particular Blake Solly and Brian Fletcher, for their role in closing out a deal that impacts multiple stakeholders."

RLPA Chief Executive Clint Newton said the players understand reductions needed to be made following the impact of COVID-19 across the industry.

"The leadership and resolve of our members during this period of great uncertainty is something that we should all be incredibly proud of," Newton said.

"This revised agreement is another example of the leadership and maturity shown during such a difficult period in our game's history.

"When you consider the finite career of a rugby league player, which is not guaranteed to be longer than their next game, we have an important role in ensuring what we negotiate on their behalf is fair and reasonable.

"By prioritising trust, transparency, and honesty during this process, we have been able to reach an agreement that we believe strikes the right balance between protecting our members and ensuring the overall health of the game.

"I want to thank our playing group for the maturity and leadership they have shown during this period, our player leaders, directors and the RLPA team for their unwavering commitment as we worked through securing this outcome, as well as Andrew, Peter and the Club representatives for their work in getting to this point."

RLPA Director and Cronulla Sharks captain, Wade Graham, said players understand their responsibility to share in the decreased revenue.

"We understand the significant impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on our game," Graham said.

"To help the game recover we believe it's fair that we share in that and play our part by agreeing reasonable reductions to our payments and benefits.

"I'd like to thank Clint and the RLPA team for the thorough process they have worked through in ensuring players are protected and respected in these negotiations.

"I'd also like to acknowledge my fellow players, we've continued to adapt and overcome the various challenges thrown our way during this period, which is something everyone connected to the game should all be proud of."

NRL media release

Players agree to 6 per cent cut in new pay deal: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/19/pla ... -pay-deal/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Masada Iosefa dies in quad-bike crash

The NRL and Samoan rugby league communities are in mourning following the tragic death of former Penrith and Wests Tigers hooker Masada Iosefa after a quad-bike accident near Darwin. He suffered fatal injuries after crashing on Monday night, the day before his 33rd birthday.

The hooker made his NRL debut for the Panthers in 2008, aged 20, and played 43 matches for the club before signing with Canberra Raiders affiliate Mounties in 2012. Iosefa did not gain a Raiders contract, before he switched to the Wests Tigers mid season in 2012.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/26/mas ... an-hooker/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Terrible news. It's unbelievable how many serious accidents happen with those things.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Botman »

Remembered him fondly as a young footballer, really thought he had a chance to be a special footballer.
RIP Masada
CREATE PROCEDURE BotMan_Post AS
SELECT * FROM Previous_Post
EXEC quote_post
WHERE UserName = 'Aknalkfgnaa' OR 'Yeah Raiders' OR 'Billy B'
EXEC RAND(good_grief; cheak_notes; uh82cit;)

GO;