2016 Rd 1 V Panthers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and Penrith Panthers?

Raiders 13+
54%
Raiders 1-12
42%
Draw
2%
Panthers 1-12
No votes
Panthers 13+
2%

Total votes: 48

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: 2016 Rd 1 V Panthers: Teams and Previews

Post by The Nickman »

To be fair, he didn't look that bad in the trial, kiwi.

Happy to give Lima the benefit of the doubt on this one.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

zim wrote:
Coastalraider wrote:What day is the Mounties game on? That always helped sort out the smokescreen.
Same day, same place. Kick off at 12.40.
Thanks Zim, you'd have to think if Sammy is dropping out we would know by 11.40 when Mounties final squad is named. If no Sammy named for Mounties, no Austin for first grade.
Mullins_y2k
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Mullins_y2k »

That's gotta be one of the strongest benches in the NRL! and our Mounties side would beat our 2014 first grade side!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote:I reckon Baptiste 100% plays this weekend. The big question will be, who drops out... Williams or Austin??

Either way... Jack gets paid.
Yep
This is going one of two ways and either way Baptiste is in

We'll see an hour before kick off if it's Austin or Williams who plays
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hot tip: it won't be Austin.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I don't think it's as open and shut as you, if I had to say one way, gut says he plays because he's been named #14

If he'd been named #6 I'm sure Williams would play
But it's likely a 50/50 call and in that circumstance the smart play is to rest Austin until he's healthy
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

The Nickman wrote:To be fair, he didn't look that bad in the trial, kiwi.

Happy to give Lima the benefit of the doubt on this one.
Yea I know he looked ok, would way rather see Tapine or Barnett there though
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Match fitness is not a reason to play someone off the bench when the majority of the rest of the squad have only played one half of a trial match and a few min of 9's.

If I was laying money on it I would say Austin is going to have another couple of weeks break.

What I did find interesting (not that I rink it makes a difference other then the message it sends) is Sezer is in the 7, which suggests Williams is just minding the 6.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I predicted earlier that Stuart may pick Williams on the bench in the 14 to cover for Austin. I still think this may happen come Saturday - although given the weather forecast, expecting Hodgson to play 80 would be a massive ask. For that reason, Baptiste now becomes a genuine option as he can cover both halfback and dummy half.

Rapana over Waqa is a well deserved selection. I also thought Barnett may get a bench spot over Lima. We'll see how Jeff goes. Both Tapine and Barnett will be knocking at the door over the next few rounds IMO.

Other than that, good lineup.
RaiderSteve78
Peter Jackson

Post by RaiderSteve78 »

Just a thought could it be that Austin's shoulder is right to go but due to trial form from Williams he is getting a run with Austin coming on later to tear apart a team out on their feet due to the heat. The way our halves played in the trial gives us the luxury of easing Austin back and using him as an impact player for a couple of weeks.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Remember there will be a drinks break at the 20 minute mark in each half. That will help Paps, Whitehead and Hodgson handle the heat. Plus it has been mid-30's in Canberra most of the summer off and on so the boys are used to it.

On the team. Very happy to see Rapa in the side. Williams at 7 is a surprise but like others have said it could be a smokescreen. It makes sense IMO because Williams and Austin are such different players and demand a very different defensive strategy.

Keep the Panthers guessing until kick-off. Either way we are better in every key position and really should win this game.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Pretty happy. They won't risk Austin's shoulder so it must be an ease back in thing. I don't mind that at all.

Tapine in the middle for Mounties is a very good thing too.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I don't think we lose much with Williams anyway, at least in the early rounds when the pressure is not right on and teams are still feeling their way. In some ways I think that he may have a better a combination with Whitehead
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The Nickman wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Assuming that Austin is out, here's my team for Round 1:

1. Jack
2. Rapana (I think 2 and 5 are swapped again his year)
3. Croker (c)
4. BJ
5. Eddie
6. Williams
7. Sezer
8. Boyd
9. Hodgson
10. FPN
11. Paps
12. Whitehead
13. Fensom (if fully fit, otherwise Soliola)

14. Baptiste
15. Soliola
16. Lima/Tapine if available
17. Vaughan
BOOM nailed it!!
Actually, Vaughan is in 16, Lima is in 17 even though Tapine is available; however he is at Mounties and Baptiste is in 18. So, ALMOST nailed it.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I'd say Austin will have until Friday to prove his fitness and if he gets through a test he will play with Williams dropping out and Baptiste on the bench. If not Austin drops out.

Not a bad headache to have and if Austin's shoulder isn't right there's no need to risk him.

In the heat possession will be absolutely critical. If we can complete our sets and build pressure we should be able to roll over the top.

Gee it's good to have the footy back!
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Sticky saw how successful it was having McCrone as bench hooker.. Austin to hooker!!
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Green eyed Mick wrote:Remember there will be a drinks break at the 20 minute mark in each half. That will help Paps, Whitehead and Hodgson handle the heat. Plus it has been mid-30's in Canberra most of the summer off and on so the boys are used to it. .
I dunno why they just don't play 4 quarters on 30+ days with 5 min breaks + 10 mins for HT

They talk about player welfare..
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

NRL: Canberra Raiders prepare for extreme heat in season opener with Penrith Panthers

Gloves and beanies are usually what's required for visiting teams when they come to Canberra to face the Raiders.

So Penrith Panthers recruit Trent Merrin got a pleasant surprise when he looked at his new team's schedule to start the year.

"I was stoked when I saw we had them in round one. It's a bit hotter than the back end of the season. It's definitely very hard to travel down and beat them at home.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... n71oy.html
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Player team line ups, finally there's video!

http://www.raiders.com.au/content/raide ... aider.html
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

RaiderSteve78 wrote:Just a thought could it be that Austin's shoulder is right to go but due to trial form from Williams he is getting a run with Austin coming on later to tear apart a team out on their feet due to the heat. The way our halves played in the trial gives us the luxury of easing Austin back and using him as an impact player for a couple of weeks.

Give that man a c-gar!
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star Blake Austin named on bench to face Penrith Panthers

The Canberra Raiders have pulled a major selection surprise, naming Dally M five-eighth of the year Blake Austin on the bench for Saturday's season opener against the Penrith Panthers.

"It's pretty hard to pick the best 17, there will be good players missing out," Frank Paul Nuuausala said.

"If you don't play well, you might lose your job. Pressure's good and we don't mind the competition. It makes you train better, makes you play better, keeps you on your toes so you can't be relaxed."

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... n71jt.html
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

The Nickman wrote:Hot tip: it won't be Austin.
This could be straight out of the red rocket playbook, and it could be delicious!
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Re: 2016 Rd 1 V Panthers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by cat »

nickman , I smell smoke, so lets wait till 3pm Saturday before we declare a winner :)

Still pretty darn confident I win!!

Ricky has been playing smokescreens for a few weeks, and might not have truly settled on a bench yet, he nearly picked the full 25 players!

do we know for sure we are getting drinks after 20min??
Vaccinated
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

When I saw the side my first instinct was that no Coach would play last years Dally M 5/8 of the year off the bench if he was fit. So for me Austin gets at least another week on the sidelines and Baptiste comes into the side. With Sol to the bench for Fensom and Sisa dropped for Jack it is close to the starting side at Orange which played so well.

Have looked at the option of playing little blokes to run the Panthers ragged. Defence is our weakness, so the option of two little blokes on the bench, Austin for match fitness and Baptiste to give Hodgo a break, with Lima dropping out, won't happen imo. I know we have plenty of long minute forwards but it would be too big a risk this early in the season. We need those 2 competition points and I think we have a heap of points in us regardless of the bench. Defence is all together another question which I hope we see answered on Saturday afternoon.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Love the team video. How cranky is Franky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Rick wrote:Love the team video. How cranky is Franky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even in the joke photo he's just death staring the camera :D
Thombre
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Jeff "Shakas" Lima!!!!

Post by Thombre »

can we just start calling him kanye west nuasala
Pick the round we will get more than #oneinarow Winner - Round 8 (Wests + Bunnies)
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

This has been doing the rounds again:

Wouldn't mind seeing some of that on saturday.
Last edited by greeneyed on March 1, 2016, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It is a requirement of the site that the youtube code be used.
Beast Mode
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Lachlan Croker

Post by Beast Mode »

Austin either starts or he doesn't play. I don't understand how anyone is even thinking there is a chance of him playing from the bench.
Use your noggin', people!
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

greeneyed wrote:Player team line ups, finally there's video!

Why did I just sit through three minutes of blokes awkwardly playing with a ball?
Obviously way too keen for the game...
Last edited by Toviii on March 1, 2016, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Beast Mode wrote:Austin either starts or he doesn't play. I don't understand how anyone is even thinking there is a chance of him playing from the bench.
Use your noggin', people!
Yep. Agree with this.
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Round 1: Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

We have had the Nines in Auckland, where the Raiders made the finals; we have had the World Club Challenge, and the All Stars. And now it’s here! It’s finally here! Team list Tuesday! Teams for Round 1 of the NRL Premiership have been named... meaning kickoff for season 2016 is only 48 hours away.

All the talk out of Raiders HQ has been positive: new culture, competition for positions. Stuart has again recruited well: Sezer, Whitehead, Lima, Clydesdale, Santo and the newest addition Tapine. Yet again it’s been dubbed ‘the toughest preseason ever’, with a strong focus on fitness as a result of the reduced interchange and shot clock rules coming into effect in 2016. The likes of Blake Austin and Sia Soliola continue to be stars off the field. A new diet and new attitude has the likes of Leilua, Papalii, Nuuausala and Brenko Lee looking fit, strong and hungry for success.

For the Panthers it was a disappointing preseason, made worse by the loss of Matt Moylan and Dean Whare to injury. Given Penrith will also be without Jamaal Idris for 2016, the signature of Peta Hiku was very important - to not only fill that void, but provide some much needed experience in a younger backline. The Panthers also managed to get the prize signature of Trent Merrin last season, which will bolster their already impressive pack.

With a wave of excitement and air of success hovering over the Raiders, this season could well be Canberra's best chance at success for two decades. In a few days, we will see if that is true, or if we are in for another season of disappointment.

Matt’s Match-ups rules

1. Skins are selected on form. That is done, in order, by ‘the eye test’, then box scores, then by said player's ‘NRL status’/ generally accepted ability.
2. Injury rule – A player's ‘form guide’ is affected by the number of games he plays, therefore if he is injured, that is broken. The greater the length of time out, the more impact on form.
3. NRL debutants – They cannot win the skin in their debut game (this applies to anyone who has zero NRL experience).
4. ‘Milford Rule’ – no matter how poorly a super star is going, if I tip against them, they WILL shred us on game day.

As it’s only Round 1, I’ve taken the Nines, the All Stars game and trial form into consideration, but in Round 1 it tends to be a head to head battle by ‘NRL status’.

Panthers V Raiders

Will Smith 1. Jack Wighton
Josh Mansour 2. Edrick Lee
Waqa Blake 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Peta Hiku 4. Joseph Leilua
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 5. Jordan Rapana
Jamie Soward 6. Sam Williams
Peter Wallace 7. Aidan Sezer
Sam McKendry 8. Shannon Boyd
James Segeyaro 9. Josh Hodgson
Reagan Campbell-Gillard 10. Frank-Paul Nuuausala
Bryce Cartwright 11. Josh Papalii
Isaah Yeo 12. Elliott Whitehead
Trent Merrin 13. Shaun Fensom

Interchange
Tyrone Peachey 14. Blake Austin
Jeremy Latimore 15. Sia Soliola
Suaia Matagi 16. Paul Vaughan
Elijah Taylor 17. Jeff Lima
Not Named 18. Kurt Baptiste

(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Matchups:

Fullbacks:
Both played in the All Stars game for the Indigenous side, and both only played minor roles. Smith was only included 24-48 hours before kickoff to cover the loss of Ray Thompson, who broke his ankle. Wighton’s only real contribution was getting concussed trying to score a try. Smith has massive shoes to fill, coming in for the injured skipper, Matt Moylan. While Smith has shown he can handle himself in the NRL, it’s hard to go past Wighton, who has excelled at fullback and is touted as a future representative player.

Wingers:
With two injuries in the backline to start the year, the Panthers must be happy to see a fit Josh Mansour in the lineup for Round 1. At his best, Mansour is a beast of a ball carrier. He is a fine example of the modern winger, as he acts like an extra forward, rucking out of his own end, while still being a great finisher. His partner this week is an 'almost' Kiwi international Watene-Zelezniak (DWZ); he missed out on his first cap last year because of injury. DWZ is yet another of the ‘triple name brigade’; he can play anywhere in the back five but is probably going to have a long career as a fullback.

They will face off against Indigenous All Star, Edrick Lee, and Jordan Rapana. We all know that Lee is uncatchable with a clean set of heels, and he is one of the best leapers in the NRL - which is why the Queensland Origin system has been looking to develop him in recent years. Rapana is the Raiders' answer to Mansour. He was a tackle busting fiend in 2015, and scored plenty of tries, which has put him ahead of the much fancied Sisa Waqa on the right wing.

Centres:
With Dean Whare out, 2015 rookie sensation, Waqa Blake will start 2016 in his more accustomed position in the centres. Blake had a strong 2015 season, but lacked consistency, like most rookies. His partner is Kiwi international, and backline ‘Mr Fix-it’, Peta Hiku. Hiku comes across from Manly looking to cement a spot either at fullback or in the centres. Hiku has even had international experience at five eighth so he is quite versatile.

The Raiders will be led by Jarrod Croker. He was the leading point scorer in 2015, and the Raiders will be hoping he is right up there again in 2016 - because it will again mean the Raiders' attack has fired. Croker received a massive compliment after the All Stars game with Wayne Bennett saying he should be the first centre chosen by the Blues for State of Origin this year. He will be partnered by the 8kg lighter Joey Leilua. While in 2014 and 2015 Leilua wasn’t that impressive, he has shown in the past that he is a match winner. With the right attitude and body shape, he can be a really tough bloke to bring down. If trial form is anything to go by, expect him to win plenty of skins this year.

Halves:
The Panthers are sticking with the experienced pair of Wallace and Soward, yet another Indigenous All Star. The Panthers know what they will get from these two; composure and a good kicking game. Expect youngster Te Maire Martin to put pressure on these guys all year, especially Wallace.

For the Raiders, Williams has held his spot, be it at five eighth ather than halfback. Austin has been named on the bench for his return from injury. Williams was underrated last season, putting up very good numbers for kick metres, try assists and line break assists in 2015. However, expect him to be a quality back up option for the Raiders in 2016 - for Austin and Sezer. Sezer had massive raps on him in the Bulldogs junior system - but with no path forward at that club, he moved north, to the Gold Coast to ply his trade under the tutelage of Scott Price. After taking the reins at the Titans, Sezer was consistently one of their best. This is where the story really goes in the Raiders favor, with Canberra being the major benefactor of the Daly Cherry-Evans backflip. Let’s hope it’s a case of ‘ALL HAIL SEZER’ in 2016!

Prop:
The Panthers will rotate Campell-Gillard (RCG), former Kiwi International, McKendry, Matagi and the underrated Lattimore up front. Expect RCG, who reminds me of Jesse Bromwich, to play big minutes. The other three will rotate, with Merrin to potentially ‘bridge the minute’s gap’ up front, especially in the heat. Also remember that they have Indigenous All Star, Leilani Latu stuck in NSW Cup, so Penrith are deep at prop.

For the Raiders, they will unleash ‘Man Mountain’ Shannon Boyd. Boyd has filled David Shillington's shoes in the starting front row. Boyd showed in 2015 that there is a place for a 120kg prop in the NRL. In the trial against the Knights, Boyd was damn near unstoppable. He scored a try from close range where no one on Earth would have been able to stop him. He probably should have had a second only a few minutes later. His best mate, Paul ‘the Italian Stallion’ Vaughan, will be the other main contributor up front. Don’t be fooled by Vaughan being on the bench. He will play big minutes and be asked to lead this pack in 2016. Like Boyd, he will be looking for higher honors in 2016. They will be supported by a pair of former Kiwi internationals and ‘older statesman’ in Nuuausala (FPN) and new recruit Jeff Lima, who both played better than expected in the trial.

Hooker/ Utility:
We are going to be witnessing a ‘changing of the guard’ as far as NRL hookers this week. Segeyaro and Hodgson are two of the best young hookers in the NRL. In the coming years, they will be replacing the likes of Smith, Farah and Ennis as some the top hookers in the game. Both are probably top five or six already, hence I can’t split them this week. It was great to see Hodgson re-sign recently, and then take the Knight apart in the trial; the Raiders have a genius hooker in Hodgson.

While Segeyaro is likely to be asked to play all 80 minutes, it looks as though Hodgson will get a reprieve at some stage. As it stands, Austin has been named on the bench, though I find it highly unlikely that the 2015 Daly M five eighth of the year will come off the bench, even in his return from injury. With Baptiste named on an extended bench, expect either Austin to continue to rest his injury and drop out of the side, or for Austin to start and Williams will drop out of the side, with Baptiste to be added to the bench.

Backrow:
Another area of strength for the Panthers, with star recruit Merrin, rising youngster Cartwright, the talented and versatile pair of Yeo and Peachey, and Taylor all in the side. Most of the creativity and points will come from Cartwright playing more like a running five eighth, Merrin with his offload, and Peachey with his ‘X-factor’ off the cuff play. The Raiders will need to shut these guys down.

The Raiders have made one change to their tried a true backrow formula from 2015. They have brought their new recruit, English international, Elliott Whitehead, forcing Stuart to push Meninga Medalist, Soliola to the bench. The starting trio contains a workhorse, a powerhouse and a ball player, and they get backed up by experience and starch. The Panthers' backrow is one of their strengths, but it is also one of the Raiders.

Result
The tally is Panthers 7 and Raiders 9, with a draw for the hookers. Being the first week, a few skins still could have gone either way, but I think the Raiders will hold more than just a slight edge this week. It’s going to be very hot, but it’s been very hot in the capital lately. It’s going to be in Canberra, a place the Raiders really need to start winning. Then there is the ‘no excuses’, ‘air of expectation’ and ‘Ricky’s team’ narrative to contend with.

Result: Raiders by more than enough (by 12-18).

Follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Twitter: @TheGHRaiders
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Toviii wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Player team line ups, finally there's video!

Why did I just sit through three minutes of blokes awkwardly playing with a ball?
Obviously way too keen for the game...
We all did it, so I guess we are all a little keen :D

Cant decide if FPN is cranky, steeling himself for another season, or a straight up serial killer. That gaze is crazy!

On the other hand, doesn't Baptiste look like the guy just happy to be picked?!?
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Seen reports of people saying it's a massive "surprise" that Austin was named on bench and that its weird that the Dally M Five Eighth of the year isn't starting in his position... have the rest of the league and reporters forgotten that he was injured? i feel like they all want to jump on some "Canberra's doing some weird ****" bandwagon. anyone else feel this??

Also i'm a new member here, been reading it for a long time but only now decided to get in on the discussion, looking forward to talking footy with you all.
Go Raiders!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Good team that.

As has been said if there is any concern about Austin at all then he shouldn't play, simple - Williams is one the best back ups in the game.