2015 Rd 24 V Titans: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win between the Canberra Raiders and Gold Coast Titans?

Raiders 13+
46%
Raiders 1-12
23%
Draw
8%
Titans 1-12
15%
Titans 13+
8%

Total votes: 13

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: 2015 Rd 24 V Titans: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by julian87 »

Frustratingly I think we'll put 50 on them again.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

TPJ is going to be a prop so it is probably unrealistic to expect him to debut in place of Shillo. Boyd was 21 when he played his first FG game and Paul Vaughan was a similar age.

The Barnett decision is an interesting one but I am happy for Bateman to get another shot at FG.

If we complete and don't concede a truck load of penalties we should be far too strong for the Titans.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote:I'm not sold on Barnett being eased in or anything like that. I found it extremely odd that he was subbed early against Manly and just didn't come back on (from memory anyway) when we were getting pretty thin in the forwards. I think Stuart has seen something in him he doesn't like and he won't be back in first grade until he improves it.
Barnett was gassed when Ricky took him off. Manly went at him hard. Im leaning towards him helping to get Mounties a premiership
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

With the season dusted I have no issue with that. Prefer him playing at Mounties to U20s.
novak djokovic
Glenn Lazarus

Post by novak djokovic »

Edit
Last edited by novak djokovic on October 29, 2015, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

novak djokovic wrote:
Lenny Leonard wrote:I feel déjà vu to the Titans game last year for some reason
They were without sezar and had greg bird at five eighth and Albert Kelly at halfback and both played awesome in that game and our halves struggled for composure and we kept relying on milford
We flogged them in that game.

I don't understand Stuart's use of using Bateman instead of Barnett. Bateman hasn't been sighted for however long and then he comes in at the expense of Bateman AND Kennedy is promoted to the starting line up.
novak djokovic
Glenn Lazarus

Post by novak djokovic »

Edit
Last edited by novak djokovic on October 29, 2015, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuat
Gary Belcher

Post by Stuat »

Matt wrote:
julian87 wrote:I'm not sold on Barnett being eased in or anything like that. I found it extremely odd that he was subbed early against Manly and just didn't come back on (from memory anyway) when we were getting pretty thin in the forwards. I think Stuart has seen something in him he doesn't like and he won't be back in first grade until he improves it.
Barnett was gassed when Ricky took him off. Manly went at him hard. Im leaning towards him helping to get Mounties a premiership
I'm waiting until next year. We've seen a version of this movie before.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Stuat wrote:
Matt wrote:
I'm waiting until next year. We've seen a version of this movie before.
Agreed with you and Julian
Very curious moves, keen to see how this pans out next year
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Building the base for next season so not too worried about Bateman selection. Would still expect TPJ to be selected for game time this year also and maybe Brenko on the wing if there are injury and suspensions. Looks more like a move to breed confidence and competition in pre season so I like it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'm happy with Bateman's inclusion provided he gets some decent minutes. A cameo for the last 10 mins doesn't count.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt’s Match-ups Round 24: Canberra Raiders V Gold Coast Titans

More shoulder charges this week, more players complaining about it too. It’s a hot topic, but I can’t see the NRL changing its stance.

More refereeing blunders too, but hey, what’s new there?! I’m not saying the Raiders deserve to be playing finals footy this year; however, there have been about half a dozen very key calls that have ruined their chances of being in the fight for the last few games. Two that come to mind are the ‘no strip’ on Vaughan in the Raiders massive comeback against the Dogs, which turned the tsunami of momentum the Raiders had going, and the Stewart ‘not called offside’ last week for the winner. The Raiders aren’t the only ones getting duded each week, either the standard of refereeing is getting worse, or the standard of refereeing is getting much worse.

Both sides in this match up are out of finals contention. Both sides are in contention for the spoon. That said, there is a gulf between the two sides. The Raiders beat the Titans convincingly in Round 9, 56-16. They also boast one of the best attacks in the competition. The Raiders have the best losing margin, with the Raiders losing the majority of its games by less than 6 points in 2015. They also have the healthier roster, with the Titans again having injury woes.

So let’s get to the two sides:

Titans V Raiders
(Skins selected on current form)

David Mead 1. Jack Wighton
Leva Li2. Edrick Lee
James Roberts 3. Jarrod Croker ©
Nene MacDonald 4. Joseph Leilua
Kalifa Faifai Loa 5. Sisa Waqa
Josh Hoffman 6. Blake Austin
Daniel Mortimer 7. Sam Williams
Luke Douglas 8. Frank-Paul Nuuausala
Beau Falloon 9. Josh Hodgson
Nate Myles © 10. David Shillington
Ryan James 11. Josh Papalii
Agnatius Paasi 12. Jarrad Kennedy
Greg Bird 13. Shaun Fensom

Interchange
Dave Taylor 14. Kurt Baptiste
Edward Pettybourne 15. Luke Bateman
Matt White 16. Paul Vaughan
Kierran Moseley 17. Shannon Boyd
David Hala 18. Not Named
Nathaniel Peteru 19. Not Named

(Bolded players are the winners of the skin. The extended bench is excluded.)

Matchups:

Fullbacks:
Both David Mead and Jack Wighton have played representative footy in 2015, and both have aspirations of higher honours. Given lightning speed isn’t enough to make it in Origin, oh wait… bloody Jennings still plays for NSW... Anyway, only one of these two really has what it takes to go further. Wighton's performances in games against the Cowboys, Tigers and Sea Eagles showed us the class and talent that has him earmarked for State of Origin footy.

Wingers:
With another suspension related reshuffle of the Raiders backline, Jordan Rapana is out and Joseph Leilua is in. Sisa Waqa goes back to the wing, with Leilua to the centres. Waqa has been good the past two weeks, both on the wing and in the centres, so let’s hope that continues. The real highlight from the Raiders three-quarter line last week was the Erick Lee 70m intercept try. ‘I feel the need, the need, for, speed.’

For the Titans, Faifai Loa has speed, and...?! Well, I guess that’s why he is at his third club, and why he has gone from Kiwi rep to almost obscurity. Speaking of obscurity, even the Titans page doesn’t have a profile on Li. All I know is what he did last week; he debuted last week, made 80m from 13 carries, with a tackle bust, and four tackles.

Centres:
James Roberts again showed that he is one of the quickest players in the NRL, with a scintillating solo try last week. A hand was barely laid on him as he stepped and swerved through the Dogs' right edge, leaving a usually reliable defender, Josh Morris, grasping at his shadow. Nene MacDonald, the former Rooster under 20’s sensation, is his centre partner. MacDonald was a mid-season transfer,. He was I n search of regular first grade, something he wasn’t going to get at the Roosters. Nene has actually done a pretty good job since joining the Titans, and I think they have a pretty good player in him.

Croker again made a terrible defensive miss on the weekend, failing to stop a player who fended him in the chest. Other than that, he did a pretty good job on Lyon, and his jamming in was instrumental in getting Lee in between attackers for his intercept try. Croker, like a few others in the side, just isn’t getting any quality possession, and that’s hurting the Raiders at critical moments. His partner has changed for the third week in a row, with Leilua back from suspension. The Raiders need more barnstorming BJ, and less brain snap BJ this week.

Halves:
Both Sezer and Elgey are out this week, so it’s a new look halves pairing in Mortimer and Hoffman. A hell of a lot of responsibility will fall to Mortimer, with no real kicking option in Hoffman or Mead, and I haven’t seen Falloon or Moseley do much either. *HINT* *HINT* Raiders!

Blake Austin got his stellar year back on track last week with a far better performance, including a tryical tackle busting try and a couple of close attempts. Sam Williams was also better, but I still think his kicking game isn’t quite where it was earlier in the year. He is still ‘placing’ the kicks, rather than kicking it there with purpose.

Prop:
Paul Vaughan and Shannon Boyd are doing a fantastic job in green, and have done all year. Great to see that Vaughan’s injury wasn’t too bad and that he can line up this week. Frank-Paul Nuuausala... well to call his season up and down is probably going to give a false impression, as it’s been more down than up. He did manage a few good carries this past week. Which brings me to David Shillington… with ball in hand I don’t think I’ve see him this aggressive in years. But he is offloading at silly times, and he is costing the Raiders silly penalties - both have ultimately cost the Raiders big time. It might be a tad unfair, but I think Shillington has already checked out.

For the Titans, Douglas has been a little quiet in 2015, but is still an experienced campaigner and a solid go forward man. Myles has again found himself up front, but is playing more like a second lock, with workrate more important that physical dominance. Pettybourne and White will provide fresh legs, with Hala and Peteru the extra options on an extended bench.

Hooker/ Utility:
How well is Josh Hodgson playing?! He has played all 80 minutes in the past two weeks, and is absolutely killing it. Which of course begs the question, why does Ricky Stuart keep selecting Kurt Baptiste? Is it covering for a possible injury during the game? I’m confused, so I’ll bet Kurt is too.

For the Titans, Falloon and Moseley are the hookers. I like rhyming games, Falloon sounds like balloon, and balloons fly high, just like a Beau… I mean Lucy, high in the sky like diamonds. For this reason he has been told to look elsewhere next season. Moseley was supposed to be a rookie sensation, however, he hasn’t lived up to the hype, and injury didn’t help his cause.

Backrow:
Shaun Fensom went absolutey crazy last week with 207m and 42 tackles in a MOTM performance. Josh Papalii still isn’t getting involved enough, though 10 carries for 82m is better than last week. I watched a little more closely, and I think it’s the ‘Austin factor’. When Josh McCrone was there, he wanted to pass first, run second, meaning Papalii could be menacing. Blake Austin is the opposite, meaning his outside men see less ball. The funny thing is, if Austin changed his thinking, that run would be dynamite every single time. Barnett has been dropped to Mounties, meaning Kennedy will start, and Bateman finds his way onto the bench. Last time he was named there, he didn’t see a single minute, which begs the question: is Ricky Stuart planning a 15 man game this week?

The Titans' backrow of Paasi, James and Bird has plenty of fire about it, however, it can easily hurt them as much as help. Both James and Bird are penalty magnets, with James the #1 magnet in the NRL in 2015. James is still their #1 go to forward when attacking though, so expect him to run at Austin a lot. They will likely get relieved by Taylor who is off to union in 2016.

Result
The tally is Titans 7 and Raiders 10. To be honest, four of the Titans skins are due to being matched up against a player who hasn’t played, so this could have been more lopsided. Neither side are in the race for the finals, but one team shouldn’t be in the hunt for the spoon.

Result: the Raiders, finally notching a win (by 18-24).

The GH's exclusive Round 24 preview: http://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p1286480
Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I would find it inexcusably unprofessional to weaken your first grade side at the expense of your feeder side. So much so that I don't think that's what Ricky has done. I agree with Julian's bolded part, and there's not enough information to know what it is Ricky didn't like. Certainly nothing obvious.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Ricky has shown he is quick to drop rookies. Boyd is really the only guy who has consistently stayed in the side since he took over. I think it might be part of it might be about keeping their egos in check. Although it was hard to argue with most of them on form.

I can't believe we would ever weaken the first grade side to help the feeder club. They are not even a Raiders team.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I agree with CM and edwahu, but that seems the most plausible reason, even if we don't agree.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Piggy, wanna see 'Im right and U ********* know it this week', don't care how hard u r working :P

Reptar, as above :D
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Matt wrote:Piggy, wanna see 'Im right and U ********* know it this week', don't care how hard u r working :P

I'll bet he doesn't have Ryan James ahead of Josh Papalii
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
Matt wrote:Piggy, wanna see 'Im right and U ********* know it this week', don't care how hard u r working :P

Dave Taylor over ANYBODY is a head scratcher too, I don't care if they haven't played the last two years!!
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Im waiting on nickmans segment "shillos EDIT shillo" followed by IRs post game thread "sack such and such"
Dont delete this GE
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Ok.

FPN over Luke Douglas.

That will do me.

Our team would be in such a better position going into 2016 if we had Douglas rather than Frank Paul the stress ball.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote:Im waiting on nickmans segment "shillos EDIT shillo" followed by IRs post game thread "sack such and such"
Hot tip: this week it's Croker
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Titans v Raiders preview

All is lost, there's no place for beginning,

All that's left is an unhappy ending.

For those still searching for an answer to the 1975 Jimmy Ruffin hit, What Becomes of the Broken Hearted, a couple of hours at Cbus Super Stadium on Sunday could be time well spent.

With little left to play for but pride for both teams, how they respond to their latest heartbreak will be the most telling factor as the Titans look to record just their fourth win at home for 2015 and move themselves out of wooden-spoon positioning against a Raiders team coming to terms with another missed finals series.

Read more: http://www.nrl.com/titans-v-raiders-pre ... um=twitter

The GH's exclusive Round 24 preview: http://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 0#p1286480
Matt's Match-ups Round 24: http://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 6#p1286586
The Hooter Round 24: http://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 0#p1286840
boydy80
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by boydy80 »

Honestly, we'd better win this one.
Long time creeper....... First time poster
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Canberra Raiders Sam Williams and Jarrad Kennedy speak about THAT refereeing blunder and the clash with the Titans

Whilst he was clearly hurting from the incorrect refereeing decision to award the match-winning try to Brett Stewart last weekend, Jarrad Kennedy says that regardless of his frustration, the side should not have put themselves in that position and that they will need to learn from that painful lesson. And halfback Sam Williams says that the team must move on from the heartbreaking last minute loss to Manly last weekend to ensure that they win back some pride within the side and for their loyal supporters.

Jarrad Kennedy: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/08/ ... ve_pu.html
Sam Williams: http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2015/08/ ... got_s.html

The GH's exclusive Round 24 preview: http://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 0#p1286480
Matt's Match-ups Round 24: http://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 6#p1286586
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Nickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

Dave Taylor over ANYBODY is a head scratcher too, I don't care if they haven't played the last two years!!
Taylor might be playing like an old busted ute, but as mentioned above and in another thread, poor Kurt hasnt played in 2 wks despite being in the game.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote:

Prob'ly not, but Papa hasnt been good lately. Despite his faults, James is still playing strongly in a terrible side.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote:Ok.

FPN over Luke Douglas.

That will do me.

Our team would be in such a better position going into 2016 if we had Douglas rather than Frank Paul the stress ball.

Been i while since I got someone all riled up. Cheers Jules :thumbsup
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

**** off, i've got work to do.
novak djokovic
Glenn Lazarus

Post by novak djokovic »

Edit
Last edited by novak djokovic on October 29, 2015, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

novak djokovic wrote:Dave taylor over a ghost (baptiste) um okay
Thats they way Dave likes it. Nothing in front of him. :thumbsup
novak djokovic
Glenn Lazarus

Post by novak djokovic »

Edit
Last edited by novak djokovic on October 29, 2015, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO: Sam Williams, Shaun Fensom and Jarrad Kennedy say Canberra Raiders must move on from illegal Sea Eagles try

Raiders halfback Sam Williams says Manly should never have been in the position to score Sunday's match winning try.

Video: https://video-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvide ... e=55D466C1

https://www.facebook.com/WINNewsCanberr ... 572100208/

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders far better than a year ago: Jarrod Croker

Canberra Raiders captain Jarrod Croker says when it comes to back-rower Sia Soliola you don't realise what you've got until he's gone. Croker also believes the club is in a far better position going into their final three rounds than they were a year ago, and felt they were well placed to play finals next season.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z3jFoEc8vi

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

When's Charlie naming the side?
luffraider
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Fensom

Post by luffraider »

Anyone using their interstate membership tickets to go to game?
The club emailed me my tickets- but they are blank? No seat number or section? Just a blank template of a ticket?