Post by greeneyed »

2017 Rd 22 V Sharks: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks
Saturday 5 August 7:30pm
Shark Park
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502 live
Radio: ABC, 2CC
Weather: Sunny. Winds north to northwesterly 15 to 25 km/h tending west to northwesterly 30 to 45 km/h in the morning then becoming light in the evening. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 mm Min 9 Max 18

Round 21 2017. The Raiders season is still alive after a 32-18 win over the Rabbitohs. Canberra was without Josh Papalii, Jordan Rapana and Sia Soliola so it was a courageous performance. There were a lot of errors from South Sydney, particularly in the first half, and that helped build momentum for the Raiders. But they built their own momentum too. They played direct, there was energy from the forwards with the ball in hand, and there was energy in defence as well. And that provided the platform for the attack. Some might say the game was a little scrappy... but it was a good, desperately needed win.

2017 Round 21 Canberra Raiders V South Sydney Rabbitohs

More on Round 21: As I saw it

The Raiders travel to Sydney again in Round 22 in yet another must win match - to face the 2016 premiers, the Sharks. Josh Papalii and Jordan Rapana return from suspension in the starting line up for Canberra. Joseph Tapine drops back to the bench, while and Michael Oldfield and Jeff Lima drop to the reserves list. Luke Bateman is named to start at lock with Kurt Baptiste named on the bench.

For the Sharks, Jack Bird returns at centre, Luke Capewell moves back to the bench. Former Raiders hooker Adam Clydsdale drops to the reserves list. Former Raiders winger Edrick Lee is also named on the reserves list.

Late changes: Jeff Lima and Michael Oldfield remain on the Canberra Raiders reserves list, after Erin Clark and Royce Hunt were omitted from the squad of 21 on Friday night. Sam Tagatese and Edrick Lee are the Sharks players to drop out.

Matt's Match-ups: Which players are going head to head?

Franko's Five: Coming soon

History: Canberra has won just 32 of 71 matches against the Cronulla Sharks... but have outscored the team in blue and black by 1480 points to 1479. That couldn't be a lot closer. In recent times, the Sharks have been a bit of a bogey team, the Green Machine winning only four of the last 10 contests. The Raiders produced a classic performance around this time last year at Shark Park, defeating the home team 30-14. It was the first time last season that Cronulla had been beaten at the venue. But in Week 1 of the 2016 finals, Cronulla inflicted a two point defeat on the Raiders at Canberra Stadium. And things just got worse in Round 2 this season... when Canberra had been hoping for some revenge.

At Shark Park, Canberra has won only 11 of 31 matches. Between 1994 and 2002, the Raiders recorded an eight game losing streak in the Shire, but the record has turned around more recently. Canberra has won four of the past five contests at the venue.

2017 Round 2 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2016 Finals Week 1 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2016 Round 22 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2016 Round 7 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

In this week's "History Happens" we go back to Round 1 of 2011 - a match when Sam Williams made his first grade debut. He was man of the match... and the Raiders went on to put on 40 points. More of the same on Saturday night, please!

2011 Round 1 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

Form: The Raiders have a LLWLW record in their past five matches, while the Sharks are on a LWLWW form line. The Sharks have lost to the Sea Eagles and Titans in that period, while they were 26-12 winners over the Warriors in their last start.

Betting: The Sharks are firm favourites, paying $1.52. The Raiders are paying $2.60 and have 4.5 points start. The Sharks odds have eased slightly over the course of the week.

Stat attack: It's a match up between third and 10th on the competition ladder. The Sharks have a 13-6 record, while the Raiders are 8-11.

Attack: The Raiders are ranked fifth in the NRL in attack (22 points and 3.8 tries per match), while the Sharks rank 10th (20.4 points and 3.4 tries per match).

The Sharks have the lowest completion rate in the league (73 per cent), but the Raiders are just slightly ahead of them (74 per cent). The Sharks produce more errors than the Raiders (12-11.3 per match) and are less disciplined. Canberra ranks top two for penalties awarded, while Cronulla ranks top three for penalties conceded. Only the Storm and Sea Eagles concede more penalties than the Sharks... but that tells you something about how some teams play. They're prepared to spoil and concede penalties rather than points. This year Canberra has received 136 penalties and conceded 122; the Sharks have received 121 penalties and conceded 130.

The Raiders will need to watch this: the Sharks are top two for forced line drop outs, the Raiders bottom two. They average two per match, the Raiders one. The worry is the Raiders have been conceding more than two per match, up until last weekend.

The Sharks rank top three in running metres and regularly post more than the Raiders (1489 metres per match, 1389 metres for the Raiders). Canberra ranks last in the league for average kicking metres, but the Sharks are not too far in front (431-400 metres per match).

The Raiders rank second in the NRL for tackle breaks (34 per match, 26 for the Sharks). Both teams make around five line breaks and 11 offloads per match, while Canberra produces more try assists (3.4-2.8 per match).

Defence: The Sharks have a clear advantage in defence. They concede just 16 points (2.6 tries) per match, compared with 20 (3.4 tries) for the Raiders. The Sharks are top three for fewest running metres conceded (1337 per match, compared with 1423 metres for the Raiders). No team concedes fewer line breaks than Cronulla, but both teams concede around 3.5 per match. Both teams concede around 9.5 offloads per match, while the Raiders miss slightly fewer tackles (26-28 per match).

Our tip: The statistics reveal a lot about the styles of both teams. The Sharks are experts at the grind. They have the better defence and are prepared to do anything to maintain their line. The Raiders have the better attack, but it's probably not enough if Canberra try and get in the grind with this team.

The Raiders showed that they're going to be prepared to chance their arm in the Rabbitohs match. It's not a moment too soon... it may already be too late. But Canberra are also going to have to do what they did against the Rabbitohs... The forwards need to be energetic with the ball in hand, make metres and dominate. The team also needs to be energetic in defence and get off the line quickly. It's rugby league 101. I'm just not sure why the team hasn't executed it for much of the season. The absence of James Maloney and Jayden Brailey for the Sharks won't hurt the Raiders' chances either. If Canberra is switched on, I think they can win. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Joe Tapine on Josh Papalii: "You can see in his eyes when he was giving me tips last week on how to play back-row, you can tell he can't wait to come back and the boys can wait for him to be back either."

Clay Priest on the return of Jordan Rapana: "He brings so much to the team. His enthusiasm in around the ruck is remarkable, so to have him back there will be a big plus."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Junior Paulo
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Josh Papalii
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Luke Bateman

14. Kurt Baptiste
15. Clay Priest
16. Dave Taylor
17. Joe Tapine

18. Michael Oldfield
19. Jeff Lima

Cronulla Sharks

1. Valentine Holmes
2. Sosaia Feki
3. Jack Bird
4. Ricky Leutele
5. Gerard Beale
6. Fa’amanu Brown
7. Chad Townsend
8. Andrew Fifita
9. James Segeyaro
10. Matt Prior
11. Luke Lewis
12. Wade Graham
13. Paul Gallen

14. Jayson Bukuya
15. Chris Heighington
16. Jeremy Latimore
17. Kurt Capewell

18. Adam Clydsdale
19. Joseph Paulo

Officials:

Referees: Gerard Sutton, Adam Gee
Sideline Officials: Michael Wise, Jeff Younis
Video Referees: Luke Patten, Bernard Sutton

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLSharksRaiders
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2017 #FromAllAngles

Holden Cup teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: 2017 Rd 22 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by dubby »

Wade Graham will again spend the night at least 7mt in front of the refs and getting away with it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I've just made the executive decision and I'm going to attend this game... anyone keen on a beer before, during or after hit me up by PM
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote:I've just made the executive decision and I'm going to attend this game... anyone keen on a beer before, during or after hit me up by PM
Hard no from me
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

Pigman wrote:
The Nickman wrote:I've just made the executive decision and I'm going to attend this game... anyone keen on a beer before, during or after hit me up by PM
Hard no from me
What part of PM don't you understand
I don't post facts
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Raidersfan wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Hard no from me
He did say if he was keen to do so, which it appears he isn't. I'm going to allow this.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raidersfan wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Hard no from me
Still waiting on yours, Bay x
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

reptar wrote:
Raidersfan wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Hard no from me
He did say if he was keen to do so, which it appears he isn't. I'm going to allow this.
The way I read it Nickman wants to hear from peeps that want to have a drink with him NOT those that don't AND he wants to hear via PM .. Pig fails on both accounts
I don't post facts
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

:lol:
Settle down little bloke, just a couple of mates having a laugh
If you get worked up this close to bed time you'll never sleep!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Haha this is great
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Ñíćķmâņ... if I wanted your opinion, I'd ask you. What do you think?
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Too many dashes
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:Too many dashes
Say chowder!
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

I will be in attendance. :clap:
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

****, I wasn't going to attend this one... I'll PM Bay and see how we go.
Horace Dove-Edwin
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Chicka Ferguson

Post by Horace Dove-Edwin »

Is Maloney a chance to play?
Hope not for our sake.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Horace Dove-Edwin wrote:Is Maloney a chance to play?
Hope not for our sake.

No, he cannot play as he's not named in the squad of 21.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

post match drinks at the pacific palms reccy!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote:

Where are the PRE-match drinks though, boney?!?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:
bonehead wrote:

Where are the PRE-match drinks though, boney?!?
reccy

Edrick The Entertainer
Phoenix_Raider
David Grant

Post by Phoenix_Raider »

greeneyed wrote:
Horace Dove-Edwin wrote:Is Maloney a chance to play?
Hope not for our sake.

No, he cannot play as he's not named in the squad of 21.
I've seen the Sharks get away with worse things..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
RAIDERS MEMBER #5036
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Raiders will need to watch this: the Sharks are top two for forced line drop outs, the Raiders bottom two. They average two per match, the Raiders one. The worry is the Raiders have been conceding more than two per match, up until last weekend.
We should be right in this game with Maloney out...although this is still the one thing that terrifies me.

The Sharks are a patient team and we are not. They could completely grind us out of the contest.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I really hate the term 'grind'

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Anyone know who will be in commentary for the historic first ever free to air channel 9 game with the once mighty raiders verse the druggy sharks? I assume fox will have Warren Smith in commentary, which is good cause I rate him as a commentator, plus I think he has a soft spot for the raiders..... however, I fear that the geniuses who run the show will put Mick Ennis and his "unbiased" opinions for this game.... my predictions: he will have multiple orgasms throughout the game as the grubby, druggy, shire **** rack up a score on us... sharks by 16
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

yeah I bet the werewolf will be I the box. Cant stand him.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:
We should be right in this game with Maloney out...although this is still the one thing that terrifies me.

The Sharks are a patient team and we are not. They could completely grind us out of the contest.
- we should beat the Dogs after Reynolds and Graham go off injured
- we should beat the Broncos without Milford and Boyd too
- we should beat the Cowboys without Thurston too
- we should beat the Knights
- we should beat the Storm after Smith and Slater go off injured

Heard it all before... sometimes I'd rather we just played full-strength teams, as our team is obviously mentally incapable of turning up ready to play against understrength outfits.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Thank you South Sydney. Our hopes are slim but this helps. From a boring game to a great finish. :thumbsup
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins

Post by El_Capitano »

Thank you Souths!!! God did I just say that?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
How soon IS now?
Raiders Lim!
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Raiders Lim! »

dubby wrote:I really hate the term 'grind'

Make sure you avoid Fergo at Bar 2230 if you're heading up to the game this weekend then :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Match preview updated for squads, weather, odds: http://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 0#p1532080
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I'll be there.

They haven't beaten us there since 2013. We haven't beaten them at home since 2012. Strange stats. Let it stay true for one more game!
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day....... Go the Raiders!!!!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I'm not at all confident.

If we are off tonight they we put us to the sword.

And we can plan those Sept holidays...

On the other hand if we do win...i'll be a very happy camper.

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raidersfan »

Game Day

Must Win Day

GO YOU RAIDERS !!
I don't post facts
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Game day you mob of absolute degenerates!!